Monday, May 31, 2010

The Disney Challenge

Immediately following the trip I took to Savannah I went to Disney World.  I wasn't expecting to do anything outside of seeing the sites, having fun, and paying homage to some animation legends.  I didn't in any way expect that what I learned in Georgia with the Sons of Turner would continue to impact me.  I saw art everywhere.  I couldn't help it.  It was on the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom where I could see the Castle emerge on the horizon.  I saw it in toddlers when they absolutely lit up at the hem a Princess.  One night I was fighting my way through the crowds to get to the front of the park.  I was stuck standing on the corner of the sidewalk with my back to Tomorrowland facing the statue of Walt.  Unable to move I took a moment to take in the Castle softly lit for the night time audience.  Then I turned my head.  It was an extraordinary moment.  I was overcome glittering lights and music.  Mickey leading a cavalcade of beloved characters.  It was incredible and it was inspiring.  What I felt, and what I saw reflected in the kids all around me reminded me why I want to make animated films.  Why I even ever wanted to draw.  I let myself get caught up in it.  I lingered to watch the fireworks.  I still think about it.  It's absurd to type, but it's undeniable.  I watched Disney movies constantly when I was a kid, but I want to watch them again.  It will be different now.  I want to really study them, and I want to learn what it takes to evoke whatever it is that brought together all those people who stood with me beneath Cinderella's castle.  For that reason I have created the Disney Challenge, in which I'll watch each Disney Movie and pick one image to represent each film.  I hope doing this will give me a couple answers and maybe some direction as to where to go from here.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo

Click here to view the entire collection.

KK

Demo Reel, Facebook, Blog, Tumblr, Twitter, LinkedIn, Sons of Turner

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I felt a lot of the same feelings the last time I was at Disney too. The animation studio did it for me, and it was even a day when no one was in there working. It was the artists working together to create art and just the passion and love involved while doing so. Artists are the coolest most passionately creative people I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for not thinking I'm nuts Katie, I love you to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm glad I read this. At first I was thinking "Disney World... over-rated". But now that I read this, I understand all the pictures you took and appreciate them more than just as pretty pictures.

    You should watch The Aristocats soon. One of my favorites these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have gone a little tourist-ey with pictures of the Castle, but hey. It calls to me like the mothership. I think I could live in Disney World and be really happy. Artisocats is coming up soon, I love that one too!

    ReplyDelete